Wednesday, October 16, 2013

The {Word} Wednesday, October 16: JOY


What comes to mind when you think of the word Joy?  For me, it’s my sister-in-law…and my coworker…and my husband’s past and present coworker…and every other person I know with that name.  A close second is the familiar Christmas song.  But I’ve only recently begun to think of joy as something that I’m supposed to have, as a fruit of the Holy Spirit that comes from deep within me, regardless of my circumstances or how I might feel.  So what is joy?  What does the Bible say about joy?  I’m so glad you asked.

Definition:  Joy ~ the emotion evoked by well-being, success, or good fortune

What does the Bible say about joy?

You have given me greater joy than those who have abundant harvests of grain and new wine.  Psalm 4:7

Dear brothers and sisters, when troubles come your way, consider it an opportunity for great joy.  For you know that when your faith is tested, your endurance has a chance to grow.  So let it grow, for when your endurance is fully developed, you will be perfect and complete, needing nothing.  James 1:2-4

But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives:  love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control.  There is no law against these things!  Galatians 5:22-23

I pray that God, the source of hope, will fill you completely with joy and peace because you trust in him.  Then you will overflow with confident hope through the power of the Holy Spirit.  Romans 15:13

So you have sorrow now, but I will see you again; then you will rejoice, and no one can rob you of that joy.  At that time you won’t need to ask me for anything.  I tell you the truth, you will ask the Father directly, and he will grant your request because you use my name.  You haven’t done this before.  Ask, using my name, and you will receive, and you will have abundant joy.  John 16:22-24

A joyful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones.  Proverbs 17:22

The hope of the righteous brings joy, but the expectation of the wicked will perish.  Proverbs 10:28

Just so, I tell you, there is joy before the angels of God over one sinner who repents.  Luke 15:10

For his anger is but for a moment, and his favor is for a lifetime.  Weeping may tarry for the night, but joy comes with the morning.  Psalm 30:5

Those who sow in tears shall reap with shouts of joy!  Psalm 126:5

You make known to me the path of life; in your presence there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore.  Psalm 16:11

Looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God.  Hebrews 12:2

As sorrowful, yet always rejoicing; as poor, yet making many rich; as having nothing, yet possessing everything.  2 Corinthians 6:10

Restore to me the joy of your salvation, and uphold me with a willing spirit.  Psalm 51:12

And the angel said to them, “Fear not, for behold, I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people.”  Luke 2:10

Questions for thought/discussion:
 
Is true joy dependent on circumstances or emotions?  Why or why not?

No comments:

Post a Comment