Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Faith "&" Works

“And this is the confidence that we have toward him, that if we ask anything according to his will he hears us.  And if we know that he hears us in whatever we ask, we know that we have the requests that we have asked of him.”  1 John 5:14-15 (ESV)

Jesus continued from there toward Jerusalem and came to another village. Martha, a resident of that village, welcomed Jesus into her home. 39 Her sister, Mary, went and sat at Jesus’ feet, listening to Him teach. 40 Meanwhile Martha was anxious about all the hospitality arrangements.  Martha (interrupting Jesus): Lord, why don’t You care that my sister is leaving me to do all the work by myself? Tell her to get over here and help me.  Jesus: 41 Oh Martha, Martha, you are so anxious and concerned about a million details, 42 but really, only one thing matters. Mary has chosen that one thing, and I won’t take it away from her.  Luke 10:38-42

Poor hardworking Martha.  Being a Martha-type myself, more of a doer than a thinker, I’ve always related better to her than Mary. 

Need a volunteer at church?  I’m your girl.  Co-room mom?  Sure.  Girl Scout Co-leader?  Of course.  Finances tight?  I’m on it.  Fill in for a coworker?  Absolutely.

Recently, my bestie and I went to my friend’s Semi-Annual Women’s Clothes Swap Event. I normally detest shopping for clothes but the lure of next-to-free clothes and a girls night out proved more than I could resist. 

Before the event, we visited the vendors' tables set up around the church gymnasium.  With tight budgets, we were hesitant to waste anyone’s time, but we soon found that the ladies were happy to just talk.  Pretty bags and bows over here.  Hair and skin products over there. Interesting things to look at as we passed the time.

So the Holy Spirit is the only explanation I have for what happened next.

Glancing around the room to ensure I hadn't missed anyone, I was drawn to lady who seemed to radiate peace.  Was it her kind eyes, gentle smile? No, something more.  I could literally feel the sweet spirit surrounding the table pulling me towards it.  As I got closer, the items on her table became clearer. 

A puzzle card?  That’s neat.  Children’s books.  Cool.  Serving dishes and cups.  Okay.  Though a wide variety of items, a common theme became obvious...these were faith-based pieces, infused with scripture.   

Penny shared with me her story of Mary & Martha, the company for which she consulted.   She expressed gratitude that proceeds from her sales had funded cancer research, adoptions and mission trips, her husband being a pastor.  How she still got chill bumps when she thought about how each shipment is prayed over.  And it was just her story, not a sales pitch.  No pressure, just a feeling of peace.  I could almost envision her, a Mary, at the feet of Jesus, listening intently.

Days after the event, I was still thinking about Penny and Mary & Martha.  Though I felt the Holy Spirit leading me to call her, I resisted. 

No time.  No energy.  No resources.  I don’t know enough people. I've never done anything like this before. My plate is so full already.  In an instant, old familiar worries and excuses rose up like flames, threatening to consume me. Tweet this!

Like so many times before, I was at a cross roads.  Which path would I take?   

Memories of His goodness rushed in like flood waters, filling me to overflowing with His peace in an instant.  He reminded me of His command to go and tell the world about Him, the Good News.  He reminded me He would be my helper and hadn't I been praying for just this thing

For Him to use me, give me more opportunities to share about my faith and encourage others in theirs, provide a way for our family to continue rebuilding our financial security and freedom, to help us provide some of the basic needs for the newest member of our family, Olga? 

His words of comfort reminded me of what He had told Martha over 2,000 year ago, “Oh, Patty, Patty, you are so anxious and concerned about a million details, but really, only one thing matters. Choose that one thing that will not be taken away from you.“

So I am choosing obedience to Him in traveling this new path He has set before me at Mary & Martha.  And I'm so excited to be a part of a faith-based company where we are encouraged to live in the "&" - that place that brings together our faith and our works.  Tweet this!


“Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.”  Hebrews 11:1 (ESV)

 “For as the body apart from the spirit is dead, so also faith apart from works is dead.”  James 2:25 (ESV)

“In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven.”  Matthew 5:16 (ESV)

“He says, ‘Be still, and know that I am God;…”  Psalm 46:10(a) (NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment