Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Sorority Sisters and Forgiveness

Original Artwork by Bobby Mills

“As iron sharpens iron, so a friend sharpens a friend.” Proverbs 27:17 (NLT)

My college days consisted of attending night classes while working a full time day job and a part time night job.  Took me the span of 10 years to end up with a 2 year associates degree…but I’m super proud of that degree.

So I didn’t have an opportunity to join a sorority during that time but I’ve always looked in amazement at those people who have managed to keep up their old friendships from college (and some even high school!).

I believe God has given these people a double portion of forgiveness because in order to stay friends with someone that long, you have really got to be able to forgive - and a lot, I mean.

The longest friendships I’ve managed to keep up were 15 and 20 years, respectively, and God brought those to a close about the time I recommitted to Him. Those separations wounded all of us but God, the Great Physician and Healer, has a prescription of forgiveness that He writes for that. Instructions: Apply liberally and often. Tweet this!

God allows relationships in your life to begin, continue and even end so it’s just silly to try and blame the other person or yourself. It’s not about you, or about me, it’s all about Him and bringing Him glory. Tweet this!


And whether you still have your best friends from high school or college or you’ve just started a brand new friendship, remember…it’s not about the length of the friendship, it’s about the depth. Tweet this!

God has blessed me with continuing some older friendships and by establishing some fairly new ones - most of which are extremely deep and rich and rooted in a common love of Christ. But all of which will require forgiveness.

 
“If you forgive those who sin against you, your heavenly Father will forgive you. But if you refuse to forgive others, your Father will not forgive your sins.” Matthew 6:14-15 (NLT)

“Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.” John 15:13 (NIV)

“But if we confess our sins to him, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all wickedness.” I John 1:9

No comments:

Post a Comment