Saturday, July 27, 2013

Pencil Thief and Tithing


"Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.” 2 Corinthians 9:7 (NIV) 

I stole a pencil in first grade.

It was one of those big, fat pencils and I couldn’t find mine so I just took my friend’s pencil.

Well, at that time in my Christian school, you got something called demerits for small infractions, like running in the hall, and you got something called licks with a wooden paddle for the bigger infractions, like stealing.

I got 3 licks that day and it hurt and I was so embarrassed and that was pretty much the end of my thieving career.

I didn’t think much about tithing until last year.

Really thought it was kinda optional. Then I read a book that my best friend gave my husband called “Blue Like Jazz” by Donald Miller. In it, he describes not tithing as stealing from God. Tweet this! Wow. That really got my attention.

I pushed for a new tradition in my family, immediately, of corporal tithing. Problem was, my husband and I couldn’t agree on the figures. Then, a wise counselor told us that tithing could mean the giving of other resources, besides money - like our time, energy, talents, and skills. Tweet this!

Once I quit seeing God as a bill collector who expected his 10% payment, I was able to embrace what tithing really is supposed to be. Just another way to glorify God by happily giving back to Him what He gave me in the first place.

Now let me say a quick word about spankings, please. My husband and I don’t spank our kids. We tried it and it just doesn‘t work for our family. I know people who swear by spanking - say it works great with their family.

But here’s the deal - listen REAL close - discipline, especially spanking, needs to come from a place of love, where your goal is to teach and correct. Don‘t you ever use it as a way to vent your anger and frustrations because you know what that’s called? Abuse. And that’s all I’m gonna say about that for now.

“If you are a thief, quit stealing. Instead, use your hands for good hard work, and then give generously to others in need.” Ephesians 4:28 (NLT)

“My dear brothers and sisters, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry For the wrath of man works not the righteousness of God.” James 1:19 (NIV)

“Fathers, do not provoke your children to anger by the way you treat them. Rather, bring them up with the discipline and instruction that comes from the Lord.” Ephesians 6:4 (NLT)

“Direct your children onto the right path, and when they are older, they will not leave it.” Proverbs 22:6 (NLT)


No comments:

Post a Comment