Friday, July 26, 2013

Church Speak and Doors



“Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding. Seek his will in all you do, and he will show you which path the take.” Proverbs 3:5-6 (NLT)

Tight groups have a kinda short, coded, almost secret language they talk in sometimes.

Professionally, we scribble stuff like ASAP or FYI on our very important papers. It saves a little time and looks cool. But if you don’t know what that stuff means, you’d better ask because my boss emailed me the other day that he needed something by COB - which I found out means by close of business - and, so, cute or not, it needed to get done quick, you know?

Church speak is like that.



One of the first Sunday School classes I showed up to - after my 20 year sabbatical from church - someone asked prayer for “travel mercies.” I found out that meant prayers for safe travel. Check!

They said God was “the Great Physician and Healer” and “Yahweh.” Oh, okay, those are other names for God. Cool!, I thought. 

They mentioned grace and how God was sovereign and talked about how God opens and closes doors and I’m like, wow, I’m really gonna have to study up on all this stuff.

And it’s not like I’m a novice or anything….I went to a private Christian school from K-9th grade and my mom had me at church every time the doors were open, so maybe I just wasn’t listening or something? But if you don’t know what this stuff means, go ahead and ask because it’s pretty cool stuff.

God has been opening so many doors for my family lately that I’ve been a wee bit concerned that one is gonna hit me in the face!

And the thing is, when God opens one of these doors, He doesn’t expect you to gather your stuff together, do a lights off check, and survey the weather outside before you walk out it. No, sir. You know what He expects? You to go running through it like the house was on fire, in your pajamas, and leap out of it like a gazelle! Tweet this!  And you might free fall for a bit before He catches you but, hear me when I say this, He ALWAYS catches you. That, in Church speak, is called taking a leap of faith, my friends.

Just a note, though. God closes doors, too. Tweet this!

So look out for those because the last thing you want to do is get your hand or toe slammed in a door that God is closing. So pray for wisdom on which way that door is actually swinging, for sure. But our God is not in the business of trying to trick you or hurt you so He’ll let you know.

“The Lord says, ‘I will guide you along the best pathway for your life. I will advise you and watch over you.'” Psalm 32:8 (NLT)

"Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.” Hebrews 11:1 (NIV)

“Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me.” Revelation 3:20 (NIV) 

“Lead me in the right path, O Lord, or my enemies will conquer me. Make your way plain for me to follow." Psalm 5:8 (NLT)

No comments:

Post a Comment