Thursday, August 15, 2013

Free Pass and Chaos

 



“Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance.“ James 1:2-3 (NIV)

“If you need a minute to yourself, feel free to take it,” said my husband cautiously from across our living room. 


I had come in late from work, full of stress, and with expectations that no one had met. Not a thought about dinner, school stuff and empty chip bags littered the house, the T.V. was too loud, husband in a comfy chair and children glued to their electronics. 

Chaos!,” I thought (and might have actually said). Why am I the only one here who sees the need here for dinner...structure...order...routine!!?

My girls, my husband and myself are Christians. We’ve even been baptized (and myself - rebaptized) as public professions of our faith and loyalty to Christ as our Lord and Savior. Why is it, then, that we all still encounter what seems to be endless problems? Tweet this! Isn’t our salvation supposed to be our free pass to a less troublesome, more joyful life? Why are we still constantly faced with communication problems, selfishness, anger, depression, anxiety attacks, physical ailments, addictions, financial problems, marital strife, friendship heartaches, family issues, fear, and worry?

God gave Adam and Eve a perfect environment. A place that contained everything they would ever need where they walked and talked with God each day. But was their perfect environment a free pass to a trouble free life? Nope


What about Jesus? He was the Son of God, fully God and fully man at the same time, perfect and sinless. But did that guarantee him a free pass to a problem free life? Nope

So does that mean we are doomed to joyless life here on earth? Nope.

Listen close...we DO have a free pass – good for one entry into a sinless, pain free dwelling place with Him for eternity. Too often we focus on the problems and not the hope Tweet this! – the hope that there is more to come than this temporary world and its problems and brokenness – the hope that even though we will have to endure problems in this world, that we have a God who is with us through all of them – the hope that every one of those problems had to pass through His hands to get to us and that He allows them because He intends for it to refine us, strengthen our faith, draw us closer to Him. Tweet this!

My oldest tentatively came back in the room – after having promptly exited at the first opportunity after our makeshift dinner - and said, “Mom, I wanted to apologize for whatever I did to upset you.” My heart broke a little. “It's okay, baby. You didn't do anything that I can think of. I apologize for being so fussy. Do you forgive me?” 


My next apology went to my youngest, who was peeking from around the corner, wondering if she was still in time out for having twice interrupted my “talk” with my husband earlier. “I'm sorry for being so fussy earlier, honey. Do you forgive me?” 

And I will say, in the midst of our talk, I apologized to my husband for hurting his feelings but the real apology came after a good night's sleep, prayers and the realization of how hurtful my behavior and words really were to him - I hadn't even noticed he'd cut the grass in the back yard. 

I asked him to pray for me, told him how much I needed him and loved him. And we “hugged it out,” as he called it. And I thanked God for His free pass of salvation to me and the free pass of forgiveness that my family gives me on a daily basis.

“Many adversities come to the one who is righteous, but the Lord delivers him from them all.“ Psalm 34:19

“Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer.“ Romans 12:12 (ESV)

“No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide a way of escape, that you may be able to endure it.” 1 Corinthians 10:13 (ESV)

“Beloved, do not be surprised at the fiery trial when it comes upon you to test you, as though something strange were happening to you.“ 1 Peter 4:12 (ESV)

No comments:

Post a Comment